What is interstate backloading?
Backloading, when it comes to furniture removals is when your belongings are moved together along with other people’s items. In most cases, the truck is already on its return journey home from a completed removal job, creating an opportunity to ‘piggyback’ your belongings during the truck’s way back to the depot.
Because of the nature of this type of moving service, interstate backloading represents a budget-friendly alternative to moving your belongings.
Backloading VS Interstate Removals – What’s The Difference?
At first glance, interstate backloading and interstate removals appear to be the same thing, however, there is a slight difference. With a regular interstate removal service, you are paying for the removalist to drop off your belongings (and yours alone) to your new place, while with interstate backloading, there’s a possibility your things will be transported alongside other people’s belongings and placed in unused truck space during someone else’s move.
There are various pros and cons associated with interstate backloading. We’ll explore them in some more detail below:
The Pros Of Backloading
- Save money on:
- Removalist costs – by backloading, you can take advantage of reduced charges. Backloading rates can be significantly less than regular interstate removal rates, and are therefore a more cost-effective way to move your belongings
- Fuel costs – backloading allows you to share your fuel costs with others who are also moving their belongings using the same moving truck as you
- Save time – not only does backloading allow you to save on moving costs, but you’ll also save time because you’ll have experienced professionals on hand to help with packing and loading your belongings onto the truck and then transporting it for you
- More environmentally friendly – interstate backloading means less vehicles on the road and less fuel being used which helps with reducing carbon emissions.
The Cons Of Backloading
- It’s difficult to guarantee a moving date in advance
- Your furniture and belongings are transported along with other people’s
Who Should Use A Backloading Service?
While backloading has many pros, it’s a service that isn’t suitable for everyone. Generally speaking, people who are most suited to a backloading service include those looking to save on interstate removal costs, don’t have a lot of belongings to move and are fairly flexible with their actual moving date.
How Does Backloading Work?
- Get in touch with a trusted local mover to discuss your interstate moving needs and register for the service.
- As soon as a moving truck becomes available, the moving company will get in touch to let you know a truck is passing through and confirm your moving date and backloading service.
- Once your backloading service has been booked and you have a date for your move, get packing! If you need additional help with packing up your belongings, you can always book a pre-packing service with a professional removalist to get things moving (especially on a deadline).
- On moving day, the removalist will load your things into the truck along with other people’s items who have also booked in for a backloading service.
Choosing A Reputable Interstate Backloading Company
Do some research on local removalists before booking in a backload service to ensure you’re getting a fair deal.
Be sure to look out for the following when choosing a reliable furniture backloading company:
- Check for customer reviews and ask family and friends for referrals to trusted service providers
- Find a company that offers insurance for your peace of mind
- Look for great value service for money – not just the cheapest price
- Obtain several quotes before making a decision so you get an idea of what’s out there service-wise and price-wise
- Ask about additional services such as pre-packing, unpacking, furniture assembly and storage services for your belongings
- Choose a removalist with an Australian Furniture Removals Association (AFRA) accreditation as the association body ensures that removalists perform to high standards
Looking For A Reliable Interstate Backloading Company?
Get in touch with Giffen Furniture Removals today! We’re AFRA accredited, have been in the furniture removals business for almost 30 years and offer a reliable interstate removal service that’s second to none.
Our team are experienced and trained with all aspects of furniture removal so you can have peace of mind that your belongings will be carefully looked after and safely transported to your new address.
With a wide selection of additional services to choose from (including pre-packing, furniture assembly and storage options), we’ve got all your furniture removal and temporary storage needs covered.
Call our team today for a free quote and to discuss your interstate backloading needs.