Planning a long distance move is no easy feat. An interstate moving checklist can help keep you organised as you pack up your life and move on to your new address. It ensures that you have made the necessary preparations before the moving day, allowing you to run errands well before the important date.
Having enough time to prepare will ease some of the stress that comes with moving to a completely different place. But more importantly, you will have enough time to find an interstate moving company that can help you on the day itself.
Too many people make the mistake of thinking they can cram everything in two weeks. This results in a lot of problems:
- Feeling overwhelmed with the move
- Not finding right moving company
- Forgetting important documents and errands
- Not having enough time to pack everything
Not sure where to start? That’s where our checklist comes in! Print this out at least a month before your moving day to start chipping away at those important tasks:
One Month Before The Move: The Preparation
- Check your belongings and see if there’s anything you’d like to put up for sale. A month before the moving day is the best time to get rid of unwanted items and sell them online.
- Start packing seasonal items. Christmas decorations and seasonal clothing can be put away as early as now.
- Start learning about your new area. You might need things on the move in day, so it helps to know the establishments nearest your new address.
- Get in touch with utility companies and inform them that you’ll be moving. Settle all outstanding bills and notify them of your moving date.
- Start sorting out things you want to keep, sell, and throw. Organisation becomes easier when you spend a month sorting out your items as you go through your belongings.
- Research charities you want to donate items to. This will help you decide which items are best donated or thrown away.
- Go through moving companies in your area and ask a quote from each of them.
Three Weeks Before The Move: Time For Action
- Start packing now. Especially if you have kids around, giving them three weeks’ time to decide which items to keep and throw away is more than enough preparation time.
- Keep track of your documentation. This includes any medical records, financial records, and other official documentation you may need.
- Update necessary government offices and companies about your new address. This will prevent packages from getting lost.
- Wash and pack anything you don’t need. This includes mostly clothes and linen that you can safely stow away.
- Make sure you have all the moving equipment you need. This includes packing tape, boxes, markers, bubble wrap, strings, and other material you need to organise your items.
- Inform friends and family about your move.
- Decide which interstate moving company you’ll be working with and schedule the service in advance.
One Week Before The Move: Double Checking
- Take your car to be serviced. The last thing you want is your vehicle breaking down on moving day.
- Start taking apart furniture and pack them into boxes. Take note of the bolts, screws, and other accessories necessary to assemble the furniture.
- Throw out food from your refrigerator and clean it out.
- Go for a second round in all of the rooms to make sure you leave nothing behind.
- Schedule cleaning, if necessary. Inspect upholstery, appliances, and other household items that you might want cleaned before moving in.
- Prepare an overnight bag for your household. Make sure this includes necessities like toiletries, crucial documents, and personal belongings.
- Make sure each box is properly labeled and organised.
- Call your chosen interstate moving company and clarify your moving date with them. Make sure they know the date and time of your moving day.
Moving Day: The Actual Day
- Make an inventory of the boxes and all your belongings. This helps keep track of your items while they are under the care of your interstate moving company.
- Check your home again to make sure you leave nothing behind.
- Make final calls to friends and family.
Move Interstate With Confidence
Need a hand? Giffen Furniture Removals is a trusted interstate moving company in Brisbane. After years of servicing clients in and outside of Brisbane, we have become experts in moving our client’s prized possessions and helping them set up camp in their new address.
Get a free quote today and see how Giffen can help you with your interstate move.