Storing furniture can be a necessary task for many people, whether it’s due to moving, remodelling, or simply needing to clear some much-needed space in your home. However, if not done properly, furniture storage can lead to unwanted damage to your furniture pieces, rendering them unusable in the future or less aesthetically pleasing.
In this article, we’ll explore some of the do’s and don’ts of furniture storage to help you protect your pieces while saving on furniture storage costs.
Do’s Of Furniture Storage
Below are some of the do’s worth considering when it comes to furniture storage:
- Many storage facilities charge extra for furniture covers or wrapping materials. Instead, use your own supplies, like furniture covers, blankets or plastic wrap to protect your pieces.
- Be sure to thoroughly clean the furniture before putting it into storage. This will help remove any dust, dirt, or grime that may have accumulated on the piece over time.
- Disassemble any furniture pieces that can be taken apart before storing it. This will help save space and prevent damage.
- Use furniture covers or blankets to protect your furniture from dust, scratches, and other types of damage.
- Look for discounts and deals on storage facilities. Do your research and compare prices to find the best deal.
- Use bubble wrap to cushion any sharp edges or corners that may be prone to chipping and damage.
- Store furniture on an even surface and ensure your pieces are not stacked on top of other items, which can lead to damage over time.
- Downsize your belongings and only store the furniture you need in order to save on costs.
- Store items vertically rather than storing furniture on its side. This saves space and allows you to fit more into a smaller storage space.
Don’ts Of Furniture Storage
Below are some of the don’ts to avoid when it comes to storing your furniture:
- Don’t store furniture in plastic wrap, as it can trap moisture inside and lead to mould or mildew.
- Don’t store furniture in a damp or humid area. High humidity can cause damage to wooden furniture, such as warping or cracking.
- Don’t store furniture in direct sunlight. The UV rays can cause discoloration, fading, or other types of damage to the finish.
- Don’t store furniture on concrete floors. Concrete can wick moisture into the wood and can cause the furniture to warp and crack over time.
- Don’t stack heavy items on top of furniture while it’s in storage. This can cause scratches, dents, or surface damage to the piece.
- Don’t leave upholstered furniture in a compressed state for extended periods of time. This can cause the fabric to stretch and lose its shape and the stuffing to not return to its original form, making the furniture less comfortable.
By following these do’s and don’ts of furniture storage, you can help protect your pieces and ensure that they will be in great condition when you’re ready to use them again. Remember that proper furniture storage can help prevent damage, warping, and other types of wear, which will help you save money and prolong the life of your furniture.
Looking For A Reliable Furniture Storage Solution in Brisbane?
Storing your furniture with the professionals at Giffen Furniture Removals is the easy and affordable way to ensure they remain safe and cared for while in storage. We’ll take the guesswork out of how to safely wrap, protect and store away your previous furniture pieces so you won’t have to worry about lifting a finger or causing damage to your pieces.
Giffen Removals have been Brisbane’s trusted furniture removal and storage specialists for over 30 years, so you can rest assured that your furniture items are in good hands and will leave our premises in the same condition as they came in once you’re ready to pick them up.
Speak to our team today and ask for an obligation free quote on our furniture pickup, storage and removal services.