If you thought storing your furniture was as easy as driving up to your locker and dumping your stuff everywhere, think again. Your storage unit might be under lock and key, but your belongings are still susceptible to dust, temperature, and moisture damage.
Some preparation is required before moving your belongings into a secure Giffen Furniture Removals facility. In this article, we discuss professional tips on preserving your furniture in storage, as well as some tricks on keeping your storage space accessible and tidy.
Dumping your stuff everywhere is a rookie mistake, one that can cost you broken and worn pieces of furniture. To get the most out of your belongings while they’re being stored, make sure to do the following:
- Disassemble furniture and place them in original boxes when possible. Make sure to keep loose screws, nails, and other hardware in one container for easy access. Label the parts before storing it with your furniture. If you have no boxes, cover the furniture with cotton sheets to prevent dust from settling in.
- As much as possible, store appliances and electronics in their original boxes. Otherwise, you can just get cardboard and protect your belongings with makeshift boxes.
- Take out items inside drawers and cabinets before moving them to Giffen Furniture Removals’ storage facility. You can place them back in once they’ve been moved inside the facility.
- Take an inventory of all the items you will be moving in, from large items down to very small pieces. This will help you keep track of everything you own and ensure your items are right where they should be.
- All items should be cleaned and checked for repairs before being moved into the storage unit. Allow furniture to air dry before moving it into storage.
- Never use plastic to cover items. Plastic can trap moisture, leading to mould damage. Choose breathable cotton sheets instead.
Tips On Furniture Storage Brisbane Homeowners Should Know
1. Stack Properly
Think of furniture storage as a game of Jenga. You want to make sure you build a strong, stable foundation at the bottom. This involves using hard items as the base and leaving the softer or smaller items at the top.
In the event of an earthquake, you don’t want your items to fall over and break. When in doubt, wrap a cable around your belongings so they stay steady no matter what.
2. Think About Placement
You may not be using your storage space 24 hours a day but it’s still a good idea to make sure it’s easy to move around inside. This means thinking about where you place your items as you’re moving them in. It’s crucial to leave aisle space so you can reach items at the back without having to move everything at the front.
Long items such as sofas, cabinets, chairs, and similar items should be stored along the length of the room; this way, you don’t have to keep bumping into it whenever you step inside your storage unit.
Need extra space? Store items vertically using a shelf or by stacking your items neatly on top of each other. Make sure there is enough leg room in every section of your storage unit, which will make it easier to take things out when necessary.
3. Store According To Use
The golden rule is to store heavy, space-eating items like mattresses at the back of your unit. However, the same rule doesn’t apply if you’re planning to take it out soon after you move it in. When thinking about placement, prioritize utility more than anything else. Ask yourself: “when am I going to take out this item again?” If your answer is soon, make sure it’s within reach.
Avoid the hassle of having to comb through your storage unit by placing items you need right by the door.
4. Mind Soft Items
Leaving a box of family mementos on top of cushion couches or throw pillows is one thing; leaving them there for an entire month is another. Soft items like these can permanently change shape when left pressed under heavy objects for extended periods of time. Use more solid items like wood or cardboard to stack up.
Self-Storage Made Easy
Giffen Furniture Removals offers secure storage space in Brisbane. Book our pre-packing and moving services to get the most out of your move-in day. Get in touch with us today to learn more about our rates and services.