Most of us have knick-knacks or delicate items and valuables tucked away in glass cabinets or somewhere safe at home. And while most of the time these items remain untouched, what happens when we have to move house and take these fragile items with us?
Before you go ahead and simply throw these items into a padded bag or small box, you may want to take some additional precautions first. Below are some handy tips for safely packing valuables and knick-knacks so they make it to your new address without any breakage or damage.
Make An Inventory
Quickly make a note of each of your delicate items and possessions, that way you can keep track of each item. There are lots of ways you can do this, you can either create a list on paper or on your phone, but if this is too time consuming, as an alternative you can just take a photograph of your valuable items.
Insure Your Possessions
Consider insuring your valuable items ahead of your house move for your peace of mind. If you’re moving with a professional removalist, ask about insuring your possessions with them. Alternatively, if you are doing a DIY house move, get in touch with your home insurer to find out if your insurance covers transporting your valuables to your new address.
Use The Right Packing Supplies
Another key to ensuring that your possessions are kept safe and damage-free during transit is through using quality packing supplies. This means getting your hands on the following items:
- Moving boxes – use brand new moving boxes where possible as these are in the best condition to protect your previous items. Otherwise, if you must reuse old boxes for packing your valuables, try to ensure they are strong, dry and damage-free.
- Bubble wrap – when it comes to packing fragile items, nothing beats the protection of bubble wrap. Instead of reusing old bubble wrap, purchase some new rolls direct from your removalist or office supply store.
- Strong packing tape – using good quality packing tape when securing the bottoms of your boxes and for sealing the lids will ensure your valuables remain safely packed as opposed to falling out.
- Packing paper – white packing paper has a myriad of uses when packing your belongings. You can add it
Pack Your Valuables Safely
When it comes to packing your knick-knacks and valuables ahead of your move, here are some quick tips for packing success:
- Secure Your Boxes – before you go ahead and start packing your belongings into boxes, make sure you secure the bottoms of all cardboard boxes first. That way, you can prevent the bottoms of all these boxes from falling out along with your precious belongings.
- Use The Right Sized Box – when it comes to packing boxes, place heavy items into small boxes, while large bulky (but relatively light) items can go into bigger boxes. This will prevent overpacking of heavier items into large boxes which then increases the chances of breakage.
- Heavier Items At The Bottom – when it comes to packing boxes, be sure to place heavier items at the bottom of your boxes. That way you avoid damaging more fragile items by stacking your heavy items on top.
Some Extra Tips
- Room By Room – save time by packing one room up at a time as opposed to packing items from different rooms into one box.
- Label Your Boxes – be sure to label the outside of your moving boxes with the room you just packed into the box (e.g. bathroom) as well as the actual contents of the box. By labelling the outside of your boxes with a permanent marker, you’ll be able to quickly locate and unpack your belongings once you get to your new address.Don’t forget to add the words “fragile” to the boxes that contain your delicate items so you can take extra precautions when picking them up and moving them to and from the moving vehicle.
- Take Them With You –if sending your very fragile pieces on the moving truck along with your other possessions makes you feel nervous, as an added precaution you can always opt to take your valuables with you in your own car.
Need A Hand With Packing Your Valuables?
If you happen to be short on time and could use some help with packing fragile items, valuables and knick-knacks, you can always reach out to the professionals for help.
Call the team at Giffen Furniture Removals today! We offer a quality pre-packing service to save you time and effort. Enquire today and ask for an obligation free quote.