Moving house is generally a busy time for most people. There’s the removalists to organise, letting people know you’ve changed address, and the part that takes the most time: packing up your clothes and belongings.
So how can you save time and money while ensuring that your clothes are packed away carefully ahead of your Brisbane house move? Read on for our easy and stress-free clothes packing tips.
Before You Pack Your Clothes
No matter if you’re a minimalist with very little clutter in your closet or a maximalist with clothing, shoes and accessories for days, doing just a little bit of preparation ahead of packing can save you time and money on your house move.
Follow these easy steps below before you start packing:
- Take a look at your closet – if you can, pull everything out of your closet and take a good look at all of your clothes. By having all of your belongings laid out in front of you, you can get an overall idea of the amount of items you have to pack.
- Decision Time – Have a think about which items you love and are looking to keep and what immediately stands out as something you no longer use or need. In the next steps, you will be packing the items that you wish to take with you to your new place while offloading the items you no longer want in the next step.
- Donate, sell or throw away – there are different ways to dispose of clothing items you no longer need or want. If you have the time and feel that you can get a bit of cash for some of your clothes, you can sell these items online on websites like eBay or perhaps Gumtree.If you’re looking to get rid of your unwanted clothing quickly, you can always bag them up and donate them to charity. For items that aren’t worth donating or selling because they are damaged simply throw these things away.
- Clean your dirty clothes – got some dirty items you’d like to keep? Be sure to wash or dry clean them before packing them with your other belongings first.
- Sort your clothing – to make it easier to pack your clothes before your house move, it’s best to quickly sort through them to create some order and store like items together. Before you pack, you can sort your items by season, material, clothing type or colour.
- Separate essentials – be sure to put aside several changes of essential clothing (several days worth) and keep them with you during your move. By having them on hand, you can easily find them at your new place and you won’t have to go through all of your moving boxes in order to find them.
- Grab your moving materials get organised and ready to pack by pulling together all of the different materials you need for packing your clothes including:
- Cardboard boxes
- Vacuum bags
- Clothes moving boxes
- Garment bags
- Shoe boxes
- Large plastic/garbage bags
- Packing tape
- Permanent marker
This is the part where you get packing! We’ll break down the different ways of packing below:
- Clothes moving boxes – this is the perfect way to transport delicate clothes that need hanging such as suits or dresses. Your moving company can easily supply you with clothing moving boxes as needed.
- Cardboard moving boxes – can be found just about anywhere and are perfect for transporting non-hanging clothes. Be sure to fold your items neatly to maximise the space and try not to overfill boxes so that they are too heavy to move.
- Suitcases – filling up suitcases with folded clothing, shoes or other accessories is a great way to make use of empty suitcases. Best of all, your clothing items can remain well protected and contained.
- Garbage bags/vacuum bags – filling up garbage bags with clothing is quick and easy. Best of all, you don’t necessarily need to fold your clothes before popping them into your bag.
- Shoes – for added protection, try to keep your shoes in individual shoeboxes. Where possible, stuff them with padding like socks or packing paper so they keep their shape.
- Fragile accessories – pack these items in small boxes separately from your clothes to protect them from damage or loss.
Short On Time And Need Help With Packing?
Giffen Furniture Removals can help! Our expert packers can quickly and carefully pack away your clothing and other belongings ready for your Brisbane house move. For more information about our pre-packing, storage or furniture removal services, speak to our team today!