Moving house can be a load of stress, especially when you don’t plan for it. But the good thing is that it doesn’t have to be. With the right planning and preparation, you can make any house move into a stress-free experience.
At Giffen Furniture Removals, home of the best removalists Brisbane can offer, we specialise in stress-free house moves and easy overall experiences. Here is our ultimate guide to a stress-free house move, and exactly how you can move house without a single drop of sweat.
Our guide is divided into three steps to showcase the three general parts of your house move: the long-term preparation (several weeks or months before your move), the short-term preparation (1-3 weeks before your move), and the day of the move itself.
Step 1: Long-Term Preparation
Long-term preparation is all about doing what you can several months ahead of time to make sure your move goes as smoothly as possible. This is the stage where you have the space and time to plan as much as you want, and to think of every possible detail.
You never want to find yourself stuck and surprised on the day of the move by a situation you could have dealt with months prior to it. Our long-term preparation tips include:
- Don’t move in the summer: The season of your move definitely matters. Moving in the summer is much more difficult than moving in any other season, simply because there are more people moving house in the summer. This can make it more stressful to book your preferred removalists and make the roads more crowded.
- Start culling the clutter: Tell your family to start culling the clutter. Most people don’t really need at least half the junk in their homes, and you don’t want to take unnecessary garbage with you to your new home. Start throwing everyday things away that you don’t really need.
- Update all your details: Your bank, your health insurance provider, your job, your schools – everything needs updated address details.
- Think about your pets and any special concerns: Does your family have any special needs? Does your pet need extra help with the move? Think about these special concerns and what you need to do to address them.
- Book your removalists: Book your removalists now. Many people make the mistake of waiting until the last week to secure their removalists. This industry is much more packed than you would think.
Step 2: Short-Term Preparation
When your move is just one or two weeks away, or even a few days away, here are some of the short-term preparation tips you can follow to ease that moving day just a bit more:
- Don’t move on weekends: Just as how we recommend to avoid moving in the summer, we also recommend avoiding moving on the weekends.
- Get your parking space in order: Your removalist team will need a place to park, at your old home and in your new home. If you need any special parking permits, secure those now.
- Know your game plan: Don’t think you can wing it on the day of the move. Know exactly what your game plan is with your chosen removalists – the times, the schedules, the distances to be travelled, everything.
- Prepare your labelling system: You need a labelling system while you pack your items, or you will spend weeks trying to find everything after you move house.
- Prepare your packing items: Boxes, wrapping paper, and more; but if you choose a professional removalist team like Giffen Removals, they should provide these items.
- Hire a babysitter: If you need a babysitter to help you watch your kids while you do all the busy moving tasks, then hire one now.
- Learn the lay of the new land: If you are moving to a new state, you will want to acquaint yourself with your new area before your move. Figure out where are the essentials are – the bank, the supermarket, the school, the postal office, and more.
Step 3: The Day of the Move
The most stressful day of all – the day of the move. But if you’ve done everything right so far, you should have very little real stress to deal with.
- Keep your necessities with you: Pack everything else, but anything that you or your family might need right away, keep them in a bag with you. This includes toiletries, gadgets, snacks, and more – anything that you don’t want to spend hours searching for in boxes.
- Communicate with your removalists: Stay in contact with your removalist team. If they need any crucial updates, make sure you have their numbers or they have yours.
- Prepare a short-term survival kit in your new home: When you arrive in your new home, the last thing you want to do is unpack your entire kitchen just to prepare a meal right away. Make sure you have packed food ready or know how to order food right away.
- Stay nourished: Water, juices, and snacks – keep you and your family nourished throughout the day, because it will definitely be a long time before you guys get to sit down and eat together normally.
- Clean up your new home: No one wants to sit around a messy home. Start cleaning your new home immediately, even while the removalists are still doing their work.
Need the Best Removalists Brisbane Can Offer? Call Giffen Removals Today
Professional removalists save time, save you back-breaking labour, make your relocation faster and stress-free, and give you all the benefits you can expect from having an experienced team on your side.
A DIY move is much harder than you think – save yourself the regret and hire Giffen Furniture Removals today. The sooner you book, the more guarantee that you can get the best removalists in the area helping you with your crucial move-in day.