Moving homes or simply trying to make more space? The decision between DIY furniture removal and calling in the professionals is one that many homeowners grapple with. This guide will walk you through the dos and don’ts of DIY furniture removals to help you decide when it might be time to call in the pros.
Do’s of DIY Furniture Removal
- Plan Ahead: One of the key aspects of furniture removal is having a plan. Measure doorways, hallways, and staircases to ensure your furniture can pass through with ease. Also, sketch a layout of your new place (if you’re moving) so you know where each piece will go.
- Gather The Right Tools: A furniture dolly, straps, and moving blankets are essential. They can help protect your furniture and make the process smoother. Remember, the right tools can make the difference between a seamless move and one filled with frustration.
- Enlist Help: Even if you’re going the DIY route, don’t do it alone. Ask friends or family to lend a hand, especially with heavy pieces.
- Prioritise Safety: Wear closed-toed shoes, use proper lifting techniques (lift with your legs, not your back!), and always be aware of your surroundings to prevent accidents.
- Label Everything: If you’re disassembling furniture, label all parts and keep screws and bolts in labelled bags. This will make reassembly much easier.
- Protect Floors And Walls: Use cardboard, rugs, or old blankets to protect your flooring from scratches, and consider corner guards for walls.
- Stay Hydrated And Fed: Moving is physically taxing. Be sure to keep water and snacks on hand to keep your energy up.
Don’ts Of DIY Furniture Removal
- Don’t Underestimate Weight: Furniture, especially older pieces made of solid wood, can be deceptively heavy. If you’re unsure, always ask for help rather than risking injury.
- Don’t Rush: Moving furniture isn’t a race. Take your time, especially when navigating tricky turns or carrying large items down stairs.
- Don’t Skimp On Protective Materials: Bubble wrap, moving blankets, and protective wrap can prevent scratches, dings, and other damage. It might seem like an unnecessary expense, but it’s far cheaper than replacing or repairing damaged furniture.
- Don’t Move When Fatigued: If you’re tired, take a break. Moving while fatigued increases the risk of accidents.
- Don’t Force Items: If a piece of furniture isn’t fitting through a doorway or hall, don’t force it. Re-evaluate and find another way, or disassemble it if possible.
- Don’t Leave Cluttered Pathways: Ensure that your moving path is free from obstacles. Tripping over items is a common moving injury.
- Don’t Forget To Check The Weather: If it looks like it’s going to rain, cover items with plastic or delay the move.
When To Call In The Pros For Furniture Removal
While many pieces can be moved DIY-style, there are times when professional furniture removal services are the better choice:
- Antiques & Valuables: If you have valuable antiques or heirlooms, it’s worth investing in professional movers who have the expertise to handle them with the utmost care.
- Heavy Items: Pieces like pianos, safes, or large cabinets can be not only heavy but also awkward to move. Professionals will have the equipment and experience to handle these with ease.
- Lack of Assistance: If you can’t gather enough friends or family to help, hiring professionals ensures you don’t tackle more than you can handle on your own.
- Long-Distance Moves: If you’re relocating to a new city or state, professional movers can help streamline the process, making it less stressful and more efficient.
- Insurance & Peace Of Mind: Professional furniture removal companies usually offer insurance options. This gives you peace of mind, knowing that if anything does get damaged, it’s covered.
Remember, moving is more than just transporting items from one place to another. It’s about ensuring the safety of your belongings, your property, and most importantly, yourself. While DIY furniture removal can be a cost-effective choice for many, it’s essential to weigh the risks and rewards. The size, weight, and value of your furniture, combined with your personal circumstances (like the distance of the move and available help), will determine the best route for you.
Working With Professionals
Need a hand with your upcoming move? Whether you’re rearranging rooms, moving across town, or across the country, don’t hesitate to call in the pros at Giffen Removals. Our experienced team are available to help with all your furniture removal, storage or pre-packing needs – ensuring a smooth and stress-free house move. Call our team today to find out more and ask for an obligation free quote.