For many of us, packing our belongings into moving boxes is a pretty straightforward task. However, when it comes to moving fragile items and belongings, there are additional precautions that should be taken in order to protect these items from damage or breakage during your move.
Taking the time to do these preventative measures will give your fragile items the best chance of surviving any sudden movements or bumps during transport.
If you’d like some pointers on how to protect your precious belongings and adequately prepare them for the trip to your new place, read on for our top tips and tricks for moving fragile items safely.
1. Take Your Time
When it comes to preparing your fragile items for your upcoming move, it’s best to allow as much time as you can to get the job done. By rushing to pack or even taking shortcuts with your choice of packing material, you might accidentally damage your items or fail to adequately protect them during transit.
2. Use The Correct Packing Materials
The best way to protect your fragile possessions is to use effective packing materials. Try not to scrimp or substitute protective packing materials as your alternative options may not quite be as effective, nor have adequate cushioning to provide enough protection from breakage or damage during transit.
Before you start packing, be sure to grab effective packing materials such as:
- Strong, purpose-made reinforced moving boxes
- Packing peanuts
- Bubble wrap
- Packing paper
- Dish and glass packers
- Markers for labelling boxes
- Strong packing tape
- Moving blankets
3. Pack Fragile Items The Right Way
When it comes to packing fragile items, certain techniques work better for specific objects. Below are some common fragile items and how to best pack them:
- Plates – plates should be individually wrapped in bubble wrap and then stacked inside a box that’s just slightly larger. Before adding your plates, the box should be first lined with crumpled packing paper to line the box before the dishes are then stacked on top.
- Glasses – use cardboard dividers to separate glassware to minimise movement and bumps. Just like with plates, glasses should be wrapped individually. Roll each glass in a sheet of packing paper and then and then pack the empty space inside with crumpled paper.
- Picture Frames – wrap smaller frames individually with packing paper before placing them into moving boxes that have been padded out with packing peanuts or bubble wrap. When it comes to significantly larger frames, wrap them in moving blankets and secure the blankets with packing tape. Position large frames in the moving truck so that they sit upright (rather than flat) in order to prevent the glass from cracking.
4. Label Your Fragile Items
Ensure that your fragile items are clearly labelled “FRAGILE” to instruct anyone who is handling your belongings that they should be gently handled with care. Use a thick marker so that your labelling is easy to read and clearly visible.
5. Don’t Overload Moving Boxes
Incorrectly packing too many fragile items into one box can add too much weight – and result in the bottom of your box falling out and damaging your precious items.
To prevent damaging your fragile items, be sure to have enough moving boxes on hand so you won’t have to overpack. Pad out any empty spaces with packing peanuts and ensure your fragile items are individually wrapped when combining them into a single box.
6. Ask For Help
If you are unable to pack or move fragile items on your own, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Get some family or friends to assist you with wrapping your items individually, or safely help you carry large, cumbersome items to your car or van in order to prevent damage.
A Stress-free Way To Get The Job Done
If you simply don’t have the time to carefully pack and wrap up your precious belongings or don’t have the capability to move them yourself, it’s probably best to leave these tasks to the professionals.
At Giffen Furniture Removals, we’ve been packing and moving furniture and fragile items in Brisbane for almost 30 years. We know the best ways to prevent damage and how to safely and carefully secure your fragile items during transport so that reach their new destination intact and in the same condition as they were when they left their old address.
Get in touch with our team today and take advantage of our easy and affordable pre-packing and furniture removal services.