Any house move can be a daunting endeavour, but there’s almost nothing more stressful than an interstate move across the country. Moving your entire home and life across state lines requires quite a bit of planning, heavy lifting, and preparing that you simply won’t have the time or energy to do on your own.
At Giffen Furniture Removals, home of the top interstate removalists Brisbane can offer, we are dedicated to helping everyone get through their interstate house move in one piece. Here are our top 5 tips for your stress-free interstate house move:
1. Get Professionals On Your Side
Many people don’t understand just how much work is involved with packing, hauling, transporting, and unpacking an entire home, and underestimating these tasks can leave you with a huge headache on moving day.
That’s why our top tip is to hire professional removalists ASAP. Instead of possibly damaging your items during packing and transporting with no insurance, or even spending several days to accomplish a job you only planned for one day, you can save yourself both time and money with a team of seasoned removalists handling the heavy lifting.
Whereas a family might take an entire week to pack up their house, two or three professional removalists can have it done in about half a day.
This is because removalists have all the equipment (packing materials, boxes, and loading gear), know all the best techniques (the most efficient ways to pack a box, not overloading boxes for safety, how to move heavy objects out of a home without causing damage to the floor or walls), and have the experience to solve any unexpected problems.
2. Understand The Budget
One major source of stress when it comes to any project or task is budget restrictions. You never want to end up spending more than you are ready to pay, so you should know from the start how much your interstate house move will cost.
This can be solved quite easily with professional removalists, who will give you a flat quote for all the services you need, so you don’t have to think about it after the agreement. But if you intend to DIY your house move, then you should have an idea of the different state moves and their costs, so ask around.
Some ways to save money while moving interstate include:
- Throw out the non-essentials. You don’t want to pack a decade’s worth of hoarded items. One way to do this is with a garage sale prior to your move, which can further increase your moving budget
- Avoid peak seasons, or you might end up paying double or triple for services you could have saved on
- Make sure the new house is ready to take in all the stuff you are about to move into it, so you don’t have to possibly pay for short-term storage
- Call in your friends for help, particularly those who have trucks!
3. Handle All Official Documentation
Moving interstate doesn’t just involve moving your home to a new physical location; it also involves updating your official contact details with all relevant parties. These include:
- Utilities: Inform your current electricity and internet provider about your move, and what needs to be done to adjust your situation to your new home
- Pets: If you have any special exotic pets, you might want to double-check before your move if there are any restrictions or laws around it in your new state. A medical history and vaccination certificate should be on-hand in case of emergencies. Microchipped pets should also have their addresses updated
- Car registration: Your car must be registered within the first three months of your move to a new state
- Medicare/health insurance: Update your address with your insurance provider as well as on the official Medicare website
- Mail: Inform your local postal service of your change of address, so they can redirect any future mail to your new home
- Schools: If you have kids in school, you will need to attain a transfer certificate from their current school so they can seamlessly transfer to their new school. For best results, you might consider contacting the new possible school of your child before the move
4. Avoid Peak Seasons
We said this above but we can’t emphasize it enough: avoid peak seasons at all costs! If you are planning to work with a removal company, remember that the bigger the company, the more trusted they are, meaning even they can have their team stretched thin during peak seasons.
This will end up driving up prices and fees, making your move cost more than it could have if you had moved at a less hectic time of the year. So if you are planning to move interstate in the near future, call in advance and find out what months are peak season with your chosen removal team, and whether you can save money by booking them in advance.
5. Take Advantage Of A Backloading Solution And Other Offers
The top removal teams should have all possible services you might need, including prepacking, loading, transporting, storage, unloading, and of course, backloading.
Interstate backloading is a great way to save heaps – no matter what your location, as long as your home is somewhat along the path of a transport truck passing through, a company should be able to offer you backloading options.
Backloading And More With Giffen Furniture Removals
At Giffen Furniture Removals, we offer interstate backloading to various regions around the country, including:
- Sunshine Coast
- Hervey Bay
- And other surrounding regions
Save heaps with one of the most trusted interstate removalists Brisbane area can provide, with our backloading solution as well as any other removal or storage solution you might need for your interstate move.